KOSHER PRODUCTS IN GREECE
This list has been compiled by the Rabbi Mendal Hendel of Athens.
If you have any questions and comments, or if you find any Kosher product not mentioned in the list, please let us know so we can update the list.
Important remarks before consulting the list
1) Every product bearing a Kosher symbol (such as OU, OK, KF, KLBD etc…) or under a specific rabbinical supervision is under their responsibility. Local products were checked by the local Rabbis. Imported products from France are approved by the Beth-Din of Paris, and imported products from England by the Beth-Din of London.
2) Products preceded by (D) contain milk. It is not Chalav Israel.
3) The name of the product is written in bold, the name of the brand in capital letters, and the specific name of the product in small letters. In the brackets, you will find the rabbinical supervision, Kosher symbol or, for some imported products from France, the EMB number that must appear on the package.
4) If a certain product is Kosher, it does not mean that other products of the same company are Kosher.
5) If a certain product has a Kosher symbol or rabbinical supervision , it does not mean that the same product without the symbol or supervision is Kosher. Some ingredients may vary.
6) If a product is Kosher, it does not mean that the same product made elsewhere is Kosher. Some ingredients may vary.
7) All these products are Kosher for the whole year but not for Pesach, unless otherwise mentioned.
8) Some of the products can be found almost everywhere. Others can be found essentially in Carrefour supermarkets (marked by *) , Vassilopulos (AB) (marked by (♦), or Marinopulos (marked by ►).
LIST OF PRODUCTS
Baking powder: All
Baking soda: All
Bread: all breads made only with flour, water – like CHORIATIKO, VASSILIKO, FRENCH BAGUETTE (make sure they use ZANAE yeast, don’t put any fats on the pans, and dont bake cakes, pies etc. on the same pans).
Note: It is not Pat Israel.
A & G VENERIS BAKERY (Heraklion, Crete): all breads.
(supervised by Rabbi Silver – Kosher Technical Konsultants)
Note: It is not Pat Israel.
(D) Butter: PRESIDENT, ELLE & VIRE
Cake mixes: (D) BETTY CROCKER (♦, ►) supermoist cake mix white, German chocolate, brownie mix walnut (all with OUD)
Cakes: (♦) OSEM orange flavor, marble flavor (with Badats Eda Charedit), chocolate chip (with OUD).
Candies: (D) WERTHERS original (butter candies) (Chief rabbinate of Israel)
- ALPEN: (D) Original, (D) No added sugar, (D) Nutty crunch.
- CARREFOUR (*): Corn flakes, Goldible, Petales chocolat, (EMB # 80302A)
- KELLOGS: Chocos, Corn pops, Crunchy nut, Smacks (from Germany)
- All bran, All bran plus, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Frosties, (D) Choco Corn flakes, (D) special K (from England).
- NESTLE: Cheerios, Chocapic, Crunch, Fitness (nature only), Nesquick, (D) Golden Grahams.
- QUAKER: Harvest crunch real red berries, Oatso simple berry burst, (D) Oatso simple baked apple flavor.
- WEETABIX: Whole wheat breakfast cereal, Minibix with fruits, (D) Minibix with chocolate (from England)
Cereal Bars: (D) CORNY: nuts, banana, cranberries& (supervision of Rabbi Barzilai)
(D) Cheese: TYRAS-OLYMPUS all cheeses (♦) TERRA AEOLICA (Lesvos) feta cheeses. (♦) (Supervised by Rabbi Silver – Kosher Technical Konsultants) Note: It is not Chalav Israel.
Chocolate: CADBURRYS: (D) Dairy milk, (D) Roast almond (supervision of Beth din of London).
(D) ION: All chocolates without fillings, (but not wafers).
Chocolate bars: (D) BOUNTY, (D) TWIX, (D) SNICKERS (all with triangle K and supervision of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel).
Cocoa: NESQUICK by Nestle (from France)
Coffee: All 100% pure, like NESCAFE, MAXWELL.
Chalva: XAITOGLOU (from Athens)
Cookies: (D) WALKERS pure butter shortbread (with OUD) (from Scotland)
- Beer: natural without flavoring like: AMSTEL, HEINEKEN
- Mineral waters
- Coca cola, Pepsi, Sprite, Fanta etc.
- Hot drinks: CADBURRY original drinking chocolate, (♦) (D) High lights hot instant chocolate.
- Juices: AMITA, 100% natural juice (not containing grapes)
- OLYMPUS: 100% natural orange juice, peach juice
- CARREFOUR (*): jus de pamplemousse, pomme, orange.
- nectar orange- banane. (not containing grapes) .
- Syrups: CARREFOUR: cassis, citron, fruits exotiques, menthe, orange.
Eggs: Preferably white eggs, because they usually don’t have blood spots.
Note: They have to be checked for blood spots.
- Fresh: only with fins and scales (see list at the end)
- Cans: (♦) JOHN WEST pink salmon, tuna in spring water, tuna steaks in sunflower oil (from England).
- RIO MARE Tuna in water or in olive oil – without additions (from Italy) – Note: it is not Bishul Israel
- Smoked salmon: (♦) KENMARE with KBD
Flour: All. Note: it has to be sifted
- Fresh or dry (natural only i.e not toasted, not spread with oil)
- Frozen: PELLAFROZ all.
- Raisins: PARTHENON
- Cans: DEL MONTE sliced pineapple, half apricots (all with OU ) PROODOS all, KONVERI all.
- PLANTERS (*,♦,►): mixed nuts, peanuts, cashews. (all with OU )
(D) Ice cream: HAAGEN DAAZS (with OUD), MARS, SNICKERS, BOUNTY (all with KAF K)
Ketchup: HEINZ ketchup (only from Holland).
Marmalade: BONNE MAMAN, XAITOGLOU (made in Athens), CARREFOUR (*) (all without grapes)
Matzot: Can be bought at the community offices (see wine).
Meat: Only from the Hamboughia butcher shop in Saloniki: Nea agora 71-81 (Agora Modiano) tel: 2310 222 171. In Athens, at 64, Ilianou street, tel: 210 882 4678.
- The meat is slaughtered according to the Jewish law by Rabbi Mizan of Athens, but not Kosherised (soaked and salted).
- The back section of the animal , starting after the 11th rib, is full of veins and fats which are forbidden to eat . Choose parts of the front section of the animal.
- There is no supervision in the butchers shops. In the Athens shop, non-kosher meat is also sold: check for the magen david symbol on the meat.
Meat products: HOD LAVAN (♦) smoked turkey (from Israel).
Note: Bring your own knife or make sure the knife used to cut the meat is clean.
(D) Milk: All pure milk (no additions)
Note: Milk enriched with proteins is not Kosher.
Mustard: FRENCHS all products with OU, COLMANS double superfine mustard, English mustard
Olive oil: Extra virgin, cold press
Ouzo: KRINOS. EPOM mini.
Pancake mix: (D) AUNT JEMINA (*,♦) original, buttermilk (with OUD)
Pasta: BARILLA, MISKO, HELIOS, KORONA (all without eggs or additions)
Peanut butter: SKIPPY, CLASSIC FOOD (*) (only with OU)
Pop corn: (for microwave) (D) JOLLY TIME (*, ♦,►) , (D) NEWMANS OWN (*) (all with OUD), (D) HOTPOP (♦) (with OKD)
Rice: With no additions (meat, vegetables, flavorings etc…).
Note: it has to be checked for bugs.
- CLASSIC FOOD (*) barbecue sauce – original or hickory, thousand island sauce (all with OU)
- COLMANS (*,♦) horseradish sauce, tartare sauce
- LEA & PERRINS (*,♦) Worcestershire sauce (contains fish) (with Klbd)
- LOUISIANA (*) hot sauce (with STAR K)
- LA CHOY soy sauce (only with OK)
- SHARWOODS (♦) green label mango chutney, major grey sweet mango chutney
Soya products: ALPRO Soya milk and deserts (all flavores) (*)
Sugar: All white and vanilla sugar.
Syrups: CLASSIC FOOD (*) pancake syrup , GOLDEN GRIDDLE (*) syrup, KARO (*) pancake syrup, (all with OU), (D) HERSHEYS (♦) strawberry syrup (with OUD) .
Tchina: MEZAP, XAITOGLOU (from Athens)
Tomato products: AB VASILOPOULOS Tetrapak Passata plain, with onion, Spiced. Tins ½ KG plain diced tomatoes, with onion.
The code should include the letters NDP or NAP or ND or NA. For example L123456NDP7890 or L123456NAP7890 or LND1234 or LNA1234
- Frozen: (natural with no additions, not precooked) BARBA STATHIS (ΜΠΑΡΜΠΑ-ΣΤΑΘΗΣ), Bonduelle (*) mixed vegetables with plant number 106Sg or 57Sg without additions, spices etc.
- Cans: A. LEGAL (*) petits pois (with letter N,M,T,P … on the bottom of the can followed by production number 2B, 2C,2D, 2E, 2P…), haricots verts (same restrictions)
CARREFOUR (*corn (same restrictions)
GREEN GIANT (*) corn, sweet peas (with OU)
Wine: Kosher wine (imported from Israel) can be bought from the Jewish community office . In Athens: 8, Melidoni street (opposite the synagogue). In Saloniki: 24, Tsimiki street.
Yeast: MAIA ZANAE (in bakeries)
(D) Yoghourt: DANONE bio danone, danone natural (all without grapes) (from France) danette 80% milk chocolate, hazelnut ,vanilla (made in Israel note: it is not Chalav Israel)
OLYMPUS all yogurts (♦) (Supervised by Rabbi Silver – Kosher Technical Konsultants) Note: It is not Chalav Israel.
List of Kosher fish in Greek (and English)
- Andjuia (Anchovy)
- Bakalyaros (Cod)
- Barbunya (Red mullet)
- Glossa (Sole)
- Kiprinos (Carp)
- Kokovios (Gudjeon)
- Lavrakia (Sea bass)
- Moruna (Cod)
- Perka (Perch)
- Pestrofa (Trout)
- Renga (Herring)
- Scoumbri (Pike)
- Solomos (Salmon)
- Tonos (Tuna)
- Tsipoura (Sea Bream)